Πέμπτη 13 Ιουνίου 2013

END OF THE YEAR IDEAS

Bumblebee Handprint T-shirts




Each student in the class makes a yellow hand print on the t-shirt. Use a sharpie or fabric marker to add details to the hand prints to make bees and to add each student's name beside their hand print. 







End of the year pillowcases- the following poem can be printed on sheets of transfer paper and ironed onto the pillowcases. The children can then sign the pillowcase using fabric markers or paint or they can make handprints. Add the name of the school and the year when finished. 



Now I lay me down to sleep
I count these hands instead of sheep
I’ll dream of every lad and lass
From Mrs. _______’s kindergarten class. 

Handprint Project- have each child in your class make a handprint on paper. Include the following poem:
Sticky Fingers and Big Wet Kisses
Sticky fingers and big wet kisses
Dirty toes and stars with wishes
Splashing through puddles and hugs too tight
Afternoon naps and sleepless nights
I’m growing so fast, I’ll soon be grown
So I’ve made you this handprint for your very own
So tuck it away and keep it, please
So years from now I can see
How much I changed as time went by
And you can always remember my…
Sticky fingers and big wet kisses

Just for Fun!
Roly-Poly Ice Cream (made using coffee cans) or Ice Cream in a Bag


http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/homemade-ice-cream-in-a-bag-684806/
http://www.outdoorcook.com/article1025.php


Photo Silhouettes


Use an overhead or other device to draw silhouettes of each of your students. Trace them and cut them out of black paper. Mount them to another color of paper. Add the child’s name and year. 









First Day of School Picture/Last Day of School Picture Collage
I mount a picture of my students on the first day of school next to a picture of them from the last month of school. I add this poem to the pictures. 
I started in August
So cute and small, 
And through the months
I’ve grown up so tall.
Look at my portraits
And you will see,
How much I’ve grown-
My pictures and me!

Parent Volunteer Idea
I make my parent volunteers cookies or some other baked item and put this little poem with it. 
Something Special Just For You…
People like you are oh so sweet!
I want to say thanks with this little treat!
All your help and your smiling face
Have helped me make our classroom
A wonderful place!

End of the Year Letter to Your Students
I put this letter in a sack with either pictures I have taken of the child throughout the year or a CD of pictures from the year. 

You’re Special!
You’re a very special person
And I wanted you to know,
How I loved being your teacher.
How fast the year did go!

Please come back to visit me
As through the grades you grow,
Try hard to learn all that you can
There is so much to know!

The one thing I tried to teach you
To last your whole life through,
Is to know that you are special
Because YOU are YOU!

Love, 
(Teacher’s Name)

Memory Book Thank You Letter
I place a copy of this letter at the back of the memory books I make for my students. 

Thank You
I like the way you’ve learned to learn.
I like the way you wait your turn.
I like the way you’ve begun to share.
I like the way you’ve grown to care.
I like the way you make your plan.
I like the way you say, “I know I can.”
I like the way you sing and play. 
And that you know you are special today and every day.
I like the way you color and have learned to print your name. 
In many ways you’re different and yet you’re still the same. 
Little children who have come so far, and still have far to go.
Can you see what you’ve done for ME?
Yes, I think you know
YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE!

Love,
(teacher’s name)

Goodbye Letter to Students
Great Expectations
It’s time to say goodbye.
Our year has come to an end.
I’ve made more cherished memories
And many more new friends. 
I’ve watched your children learn and grow
And change from day to day.
I hope that all things we’ve done.
Have helped in some small way. 

So it’s with happy memories
I send them out the door,
With great expectations
For what next year holds in store. 

End of the Year Memory Book
I have posted pictures of the end of the year memory books I make for each of my children on my blog. Look under the label "memory book." I have listed some books that have good ideas for making memory books and Shari Sloane has a good example of the memory book she does on her web site http://www.kidscount1234.com/





Monthly Calendar- this idea came from Shari Sloane (http://www.kidscount1234.com/)

Every month I make a monthly calendar that has all of the important dates for the month on it and birthdays. I staple the calendar on the lower half of a 12 x 18 piece of construction paper. The children make an art project to go on the top half. When making the calendar, the kids have to remember that the fold goes "toward their tummies" or else the calendar will be upside down.
We make the calendar on the first day of the month or or on the last day of the previous month. When introducing the month, I always play the month song from Jack Hartmann’s Rhythms and Rhymes for Special Times cd. There is a different one for each month as well as holiday songs. All of the songs are absolutely wonderful!! 
In September, I had always made this school bus. The line to cut the bus was already drawn on the paper so the kids just had to cut the line. They rounded off the corners to make the wheels and glued on a rectangle for the door and squares for the windows. It was a little difficult for some of the children, but it was a good way to give a lot of instruction for important skills.



Kinderlit Book- I Can Be Me! Based on the book “Quick as a Cricket” by Audrey Wood


End of the Year Goodie Bags (several different versions)
A Cup of Goodies Just for You!
This little cup of goodies is to you from me with lots of love. Inside I have put some treats for you to use this summer! 
A piece of sidewalk chalk (be sure to ask your parents where it's okay to draw!) 
A Band-Aid for one of those summer ouches! 
Hugs and Kisses for those times you need them! 
A pencil and eraser so you can practice writing. 
A postcard with my address so you can write to me and let me know how you are! 
A *SUPER STAR*1st grader coupon- bring this to me next year for a dig in the treasure chest! 

Another idea- To make one bag, duplicate the poem and note. Glue the poem to the outside of a paper lunch bag and then sign the bag. Next, place the note inside the bag with the following items: a ruler, a handful of Hershey Kisses, a pencil, a marker, a penny, and an eraser. 
The poem on the outside says: 
In this bag you will find some things
That hold the key to what your future brings.
It is with great sadness that I watch you depart
Because you have a special place in my heart. 
The note that goes inside says: 
A [ruler] to remind you that there are always rules to follow.
[Hershey Kisses] to remind you that you are loved.
A [pencil] to remind you that there are still many things to learn.
A [marker] to remind you to leave a good mark wherever you go.
A [penny] to remind you to use good sense.
An [eraser] to remind you that it's all right to make mistakes. 

Another Idea: Label a cheap plastic sand bucket and shovel with the phrase “(Name) digs Kindergarten” Fill the bucket with trinkets, bubbles, flashcards, or sand toys for digging.

Another idea: take pictures with my digital camera all year long and then make a montage for each student. Kinderlit has a Kindergarten Memory Book for purchase. Their site is http://www.kinderlit.com/

Book Idea- based on The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The text goes like this:
One morning…Out of the bed came a smart and very hungry kindergartner.
In August… (for example: (he learned to write his name the kindergarten way.)
In September… (for example: (he learned his ABC’s.)
(go through May or June putting in things the students learned or did each month)
The kindergartner had grown! (He/She) had learned and grown so much that (he/she) knew it was almost time for first grade.
Students can illustrate each page. For the last page, include an end of the year photograph. 

Here are some ideas I have found over the years from various web sites:
GRADUATION SONGS
I am Here to Graduate 
Tune- London Bridge
I am here to graduate, graduate, graduate.
I am here to graduate on this special day. 

I'm a Little Graduate
Tune: I'm a Little Teapot

I'm a little graduate
Aren't you proud of me.
I know my numbers and ABC's
I made lots of freinds and had fun too.
Now I'm off to the BIG KIDS SCHOOL! 

MOTHER GOOSE END OF THE YEAR THEME
Last Year our program used a Mother Goose Theme for the End of the Year Graduation/Field Day Parents brought potluck finger foods or juice to drink. The teaching staff provided all the paper products and clean-up materials and a main dish. 
Each child got a long twine with a Mother Goose cut out stapled to it. As he/she participated at each station, a paper medal representing a nursery rhyme was attached to the necklace.
Humpty Dumpty----plastic eggs on a 2x4 were shot off with squirt guns. Little Jack Horner----each child was served a slice of pie to eat. Jack Be Nimble--- pillar candles were placed in a zigzag row for children to jump over. The Cow Jumped Over the Moon--rubber gloves filled with water, tied at the top and tied to a sawhorse with a "cow" head and tail were "milked" Mistress Mary, Quite Contrary--children decorated an egg carton cup and used a pipecleaner stem as flowers. The Old Woman Who Lived in a foot race--Large sized used shoes were woren by the children as they walked, ran, skipped and hopped in a relay race. Baa Baa Black Sheep paper bag stuff--children raced to fill 3 bags full of foam faster than their teacher could.
In addition, a water table filled with bubble solution was available. Children were taught to use their hands and other materials to blow bubbles (mesh berry baskets, string, plastic rings from small yogurt lids that were cut out, pipe cleaners, grass, etc.)
Each class decorated a t-shirt for their teacher with their handprints using fabric paint.
Those children who were transitioning to kindergarten wore graduation hats made of tag board. Tassles of different colors were used for each teacher's class. These children were presented with certificates of completing Early Childhood Special Education Program signed by the prgram director and the teacher.. All the other children in the program were presented with certificates of participation. That way all the children were recognized. We also recognized those parents and/or community members who had volunteered in the classes during the year.

LAST DAY 
We have pretended to go someplace really fun--like Hawaii (cause we're in the Midwest). We set the room up the day before like the inside of an airplane--chairs in rows. The children come in and get on the plane. The principal comes on the intercom and pretends to be the pilot and we take off. We watch a short movie while on board and serve the children a small drink and peanuts (or whatever if you have an allergic child). We land and get off and change into swimsuits and towels and get our shades and sunscreen on. We really "pretend" we are there and the kids get into it big time. We go outside and spread out our towels on the lawn and do the typical water games stuff (a sprinkler is the ocean). While in Hawaii, we eat fresh pineapple and other fruit and then change back into our clothes for the trip home. We get back on the plane and come home. Just be careful, I've had parents who thought we were really going to Hawaii and wanted to see us off at the real airport!! I can't even afford to take myself but I guess they thought I got some kind of special deal. 

KINDERGARTEN CADENCE
I wrote this a few years ago for our 'end of the year' program. It has been passed around throughout our entire school system. We now say it at our K Graduation. The kids know my husband is an 'army man' so they really get into it and LOVE it! (I say each line and they repeat it.)

I don't know but I've been told...
Kindergarten made us grow.
We learned to count, write & read...
raise our hands before we speak.
ABC's & 123's...
good behavior got us treats.
We've tried so hard to make you proud...
we're through with Kindergarten...
SHOUT IT OUT! 

KINDERGARTEN END OF YEAR SONG 
"I've Been Going to Kindergarten" 
to the tune of I've been working on the railroad. 
I've been going to Kindergarten 
All the whole year long! 
I've been going to Kindergarten 
And I've learned lots of songs! 
I can read and write and add problems,too. 
There isn't a story problem I can't do! 
I've been going to Kindergarten all the whole year through. 
First grade, here we come. 
First grade, here we come. 
The best is still yet to come. 
First grade here we come. 
First grade here we come. 
There's nothing we can't do 

ABC END OF YEAR 
A, B, C Farewell 
A is for the alphabet when we know how to say. 
B is for busy bodies - at work and at play. 
C is for colors - red, yellow, blue, and green. 
D is for drawing pictures, the best you've ever seen. 
E is for exercise to keep our bodies strong. 
F is for the fun we've had as we have gone along. 
G is for the good friends we made throughout the year. 
H is for happy faces, filled with love and cheer. 
I is for imagination used at every turn. 
J is for good jobs and the praises we have earned. 
K is for kindergartners - hip, hip, hooray! 
L is for learning - more and more each day. 
M is for minding and showing our respect. 
N is for numbers. One, two, three . correct? 
O is for the obstacles we learned to overcome. 
P is for puppets and for playing rhythms on a drum. 
Q is for all the questions we've asked throughout the year. 
R is for reading stores, even those that bring a tear. 
S is for different snacks, several we have tried. 
T is for talking. It's not to be denied. 
U is for unusual; it fits some things we've done. 
V is for volunteers - parents and everyone! 
W is for the world of words we've barely dipped into. 
X is for extra special kids - it's him, it's her, it's you. 
Y is for yes, it has been a great year! 
Z is for first-grade zest. We're ready, have no fear! 

RAINBOW END OF YEAR 
We celebrate the end of the year in our 3's class in a very simple way. We invite the parents into the classroom for songs, stories and familar flannelboards that we have done throughout the school year. A big hit is the song "The World Is A Rainbow' by Greg and Steve. The children paint towel rolls different colors of the rainbow (we make enough for the parents, too) and they add colorful streamers. Then when we sing the song, everyone waves a "rainbow stick' to the music. We print up the words on rainbow computer paper, the paper goods for our snack are rainbow theme and we talk about how everyone is different, but we are all beautiful. (as in the colors of the rainbow) We read Rainbow Fish, also. Our little "diplomas" are also typed on Rainbow paper. When I did this activity with older children, they sat on chairs in a semi-circle, each with a different color of balloon tied to the back of their chair.
This is a very easy activity, and one that the parents, teachers and children really, really enjoy. 

EDIBLE GRAD. CAPS 
Place a miniature peanut butter cup, bottom up, on a plate. Top with a small 
dollop of frosting or peanut butter, then press on a chocolate-covered graham 
cracker. 
For a tassel, tightly roll up a small square of fruit leather. Cut fringe on 
one end and attach the other end to the center of the graham cracker with 
another dab of frosting or peanut butter. 

A Time for Change 
Youngsters experience a range of emotions at the end of the school year--from excitement about a long-awaited vacation to nervous anticipation about first grade. Set the stage for a discussion about these feelings by reading aloud A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle. Explain to students that they have something in common with the crab--they are growing up. Just like the crab who outgrows one home and moves into another, students are 
nearing the end of this school year and will soon be ready for a new one. Give each youngster an opportunity to share one fond memory of this school year and one hope for the coming year. Be sure to tell about your memories and hopes, too. 


GRADUATION CAPS - SEVERAL IDEAS 
The children made their own graduation caps from a square of heavy cardboard and the little foam bowls that you can buy at any discount store. They decorated the squares and painted the bowls. I punched holes in the bowl and 
slipped a ribbon to tie. They did not stay on very well but they sure were cute, and not too expensive. 
------ 
Here is what I have always done to make them. I hope I can explain it in writing, as it is much easier to demonstrate! 
1. Cut a 7x7" square from posterboard 
2. Cut two 7x1 1/2" strips from the same color posterboard 
3. Cut a 2 1/2" strip long enough to fit around the child's head, usually you have to cut a strip and a half to join to fit. 
4. Poke a hole in the center of the posterboard square, insert a brad, but do not open it yet. 
5. Place the two 1 1/2" strips in a cross formation, put them on the brad that you have in the square. Open the brad to secure the strips on the square. 
6. Fit the 2 1/2" strips around the child's head, and staple to secure. 
7. To attach the head strip to the mortarboard, you just pull up the strips that are attached to the square, put them in the inside of the head band, and staple to secure. The brim of the headband should be flush with the square. 
8. TA DA!!! You have made your 1st graduation cap! Now get parents to help you with the rest. 
--------- 
We use blue -- but of course any color would work. Use one 9" square of blue construction paper for the 
mortarboard (sp?). Cut a 4" wide strip of extra long blue paper that can easily go around the child's head. Measure the paper to child's head and staple. On one side cut slits about 1" down every few inches. Fan these 
tabs out and glue to underside of mortarboard. We also make a yellow yarn tassel and use a paper brad to secure this to top of mortarboard. 

GIFT FROM ME 
At the end of the year I make a calendar for each child to take home. The calendar, which I make on the computer, is compiled with pictures from the year that I have taken, poems, signatures of all our classmates, a picture of our school, and a letter from me. I obtain a copy of the school calendar for next year and I type in all the important dates and the kido's birthdays -- so the calendar starts in June and goes through May of the next school year. After seeing all the great stuff from this site I am going to have so much fun making them. I will use the hand print poem and place their hand print and poem (Sticky Fingers and Big Wet Kisses) on a page -- also, the picture poem on a page filled with just their pictures. In the past I have not made the calendars individualized -- but this year they will be. Thanks for all the great poems and ideas. 

END OF YEAR GIFTS 
Submitted by Mary Z 
A sucker, to remind you how sweet you are. 
A band aid for one of those summer ouches! 
A Book marker, to help you so you don't lose your page when you are reading. 
A pencil and eraser so you can practice writing. 
Hugs and Kisses for those times you need them! 

Graduation Activity 
Since the end of the year is coming up I thought that I would send this to the list. It is really cute done up in a card with a picture of the student doing some sort of activity. 
When you get bigger, it's hard to recall 
everything you did when you were small 
But if days get forgotten, in time to come 
may this photo give you a feeling of fun 
Echoes of poems or games or songs, 
memories of rights and notions of wrongs, 
the joy of dressing up to pretend- 
I hope this will help with 
"I remember when......" 

End of the Year Celebration 
Our school's policy is to keep moving up day (graduation) very simple. This is what I do with my 3/4's class. 
A few weeks prior to the day, the children paint paper towel rolls with primary colors. Of course, they mix the paints allot and the blending comes out quite nice. After they are dry, the children glue on primary colored crepe paper streamers, in whatever position they choose. These are then the props for the song "The World Is A Rainbow", by Greg and Steve. 
I cut a large piece of white paper from a roll and cut it in a arched shape. The children then put their hand prints all over the paper, using a variety of colors and black and brown and white. This becomes the backdrop for our little celebration. The parents come into the room and we sing songs that we used throughout the entire year. I read a special story on friends, the assistant teacher does a favorite flannel board and another assistant does a few spring songs. Our last song is the Rainbow song. The children sit in a semi circle and are holding their paper towel rolls as props. they sway back and forth and use the rolls to the movements on the record. It is a song about brotherhood and quite lovely. I have also done this song with the children sitting in chairs with a different color balloon tied to the back of the chair. They can then take the balloon home afterwards. 
The parents are then invited to have some cookies and a fruit punch in a large punch bowl with sliced lemons and oranges and cherries. It is very festive. 
Each parent is given a folder with pictures of their child throughout the year and little momentos. Also, I select a piece of artwork from each child, date it and have it laminated as a special gift to the parent. 

End of the Year Splash Day 



Years ago, we had a splash day at the end of the year. I have not done this in a long time. 
Our party for the end of the year was a Splash Day. Besides the usual water play, bubbles, water balloons, squirt guns, and making fresh lemonade, the biggest hit of the day was colored water bottles. I am sure you have seen this but it made a special item to remember the day. 
One recycled soda or water bottle with cap. 
Child fills with water. 
Child adds food color or liquid water color. 
Child adds glitter, sequins, beads, cut pcs. of colored straws. 
Teacher or volunteer seals with glue gun. 
Write with permanent marker to mark the special event and child's name. 
(We wrote "K Splash Day (and the year)” 
We had bubble, small swimming pools, sidewalk chalk, sprinklers, a large pile of sand, and some outdoor games set up. We ended the day with popsicles. 

Mother Goose Theme for the End of the Year Graduation/Field Day 
Parents bring potluck finger foods or juice to drink. The teaching staff provides all the paper products and clean-up materials and a main dish. Each child gets a long twine necklace with a Mother Goose cut out stapled to it. As he/she participated at each station, a paper medal representing a nursery rhyme was attached to the necklace. 
Humpty Dumpty----plastic eggs on a 2x4 were shot off with squirt guns. 
Little Jack Horner----each child was served a slice of pie to eat. 
Jack Be Nimble--- pillar candles were placed in a zigzag row for children to jump over. 
The Cow Jumped Over the Moon--rubber gloves filled with water, tied at the top and tied to a sawhorse with a "cow" head and tail were "milked" 
Mistress Mary, Quite Contrary--children decorated an egg carton cup and used a pipe cleaner stem as flowers. 
The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe foot race--Large sized used shoes were worn by the children as they walked, ran, skipped and hopped in a relay race. 
Baa Baa Black Sheep paper bag stuff--children raced to fill 3 bags full of foam packing material faster than their teacher could. 
In addition, a water table filled with bubble solution was available. Children were taught to use their hands and other materials to blow bubbles (mesh berry baskets, string, plastic rings from small yogurt lids that were cut out, pipe cleaners, grass, etc.) 
Each class decorated a T-shirt for their teacher with their hand prints using fabric paint. 
Children who were transitioning to kindergarten wore graduation hats made of tag board. Tassels of different colors were used for each teacher's class. These children were presented with certificates of completing Early Childhood Special Education Program signed by the program director and the teacher.. All the other children in the program were presented with certificates of participation. That way all the children were recognized. We also recognized those parents and/or community members who had volunteered in the classes during the year. 

Summer's here! Another year of school is at an end. 
We've learned a lot and grown a lot and made a lot of friends. 
We'll say good-bye, now summer's here, it's time for us to part. 
But we'll remember all our friends and keep them in our hearts. 


END OF THE YEAR GIFT 

Another inexpensive gift for the kids is to mix up a batch of playdoh (we plan on doing this as a class) and then divide it into baggie-size portions. Attach the recipe for how to make homemade playdoh to each baggie, and a cookie cutter if you like! You could also put the recipe inside of a card to the kids with a personalized note. 

End of year remembrance 
Hi everyone, this year I took an idea from one of my loops and made a book of the children's hand prints which I did monthly i.e. September, I made an apple tree, October, two ghosts, November, turkey, December, Santa, January, a snowflake, February, a heart, March, a shamrock, April, a tulip, May a butterfly. I intend to put them together with a cover sheet highlighting the entire year. I will make mention of the fun things we did, the great stories we read, the wonderful show and tell we shared, the delicious snacks we ate, our cooking lessons, the favorite songs and finger plays we did together, the special visitors that came to our class, the trips to the firehouse and library we made, etc. etc. I will also attach a class picture and a thank you note to the parents for making our jobs easier. I also have a great poem, author unknown which I usually include in my last letter. 



YEAR END 

Here is a neat poem from the June/July copy of mailbox and it suggests that class recite this poem and a copy of the poem and a class photo could be given to each child. 
Now I know my ABCs, 
Colors, shapes, and days. 
I sang some songs, 
Learned some poems, rhymes, and finger plays. 
I played outside on sunny days 
And inside when it rained. 
My little hands and little feet were busy every day. 
My teacher was (teacher's name). 
I kept her on her toes. 
She tied my shoes, combed my hair, and even wiped my nose. 
But now it's time to say “Good-bye” 
To all my preschool friends. 
School is over, summer's here, 
But learning never ends! 


Graduation songs
 
Sung to twinkle twinkle little star 
Kindergarten here we come 
We know we'll have lots of fun 
Lots of things to make and do 
Reading Writing Counting too 
Kindergarten here we come 
We know we'll have lots of fun. 
Sung to Oscar Meyer Wiener 
Oh, I'm ready to go off to kindergarten 
That is really where I want to be 
Cause when I get to go to kindergarten 
Everyone will be so proud of me. 

End of the Year Memory Book Pages




Memory Book Page Suggestions:
What I learned in kindergarten.
Favorite memory of kindergarten
The “important page” written by another student (patterned after The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown)-include a picture drawn by the person who did the writing
Autograph page
My best friend in kindergarten (take a picture of the child and their best friend doing something together)
My favorite story
Self portrait from the first day of school and the last week of month of school
Lifecycle of the apple tree (make apple trees from each season using paint of tissue paper- see apple ideas in the blog categories)
Apple pie recipe – have the child dictate how they think apple pie is made and what you need to make it
For Halloween – “For Halloween, I was…” add a picture of drawing
I’m Thankful for- add a handprint turkey and poem
All about me page created by the parents or student
I love to read- include a photo of the child reading with a buddy or during centers or reading workshop
Parties- photos from various parties throughout the year
100th day party- photo or writing about the 100th day and what happened
If I had $100…- students finish the sentence and illustrate
If I was the president- they write how they would help the world
A tree is nice- draw and write something about how a tree is nice or what it can do for us- based on the book A Tree is Nice
Trip to- draw or include pictures of field trips
Look who came to visit- include special photos
Member of the lost tooth club- photo of students who are missing teeth
Ready for the first grade- group picture of class on the playground
Name samples- samples from the beginning and end of the year
Uppercase and lowercase letter writing sample and/or number writing sample
My favorite school lunch
My favorite p.e. activity
My favorite song in music

Graduation Cap Paper Plate Kid


we make student autobiographies






http://larremoreteachertips.blogspot.gr/2010/01/end-of-year-ideas.html

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου